I was going to write about goals and resolutions.  I was going to ask how the resolutions are going and give you advice to succeed in your goals this year.  As I was looking for a good picture to go with that theme however I realized that there are numerous posts on that exact topic.  I'm fairly certain that I even wrote about that once before.  Actually if you want to read some really good advice on goal setting go to http://www.agatsu.com/goal-setting-top-5-in-5/ for a blog written by a great trainer and coach who knows her stuff.

Instead I am going to talk about good old fashioned hard work.  Elbow grease.  You know once when I was in the 1st grade I got some marker on my desk and my teacher told me to clean it off.  I was having some trouble getting it cleaned up with just water and those awful brown paper towels that schools use and my teacher told me to use some elbow grease.  I asked her where it was...I was 6.  Little did I know then that a grown up version of myself would be using that particular product on a daily basis.  Those of us who are fortunate enough to be making a living using our hands as well as our minds are truly the lucky ones.  My husband has worked as a framer, a roofer, an insulator, he even worked on red iron.  He now works at a desk or in an office but never passes up the chance to do something with his hands.  He is happiest with his tool belt on, hammer in hand, saw dust everywhere (and I mean everywhere).  There is a reason why so many guys need to have a garage full of tools.  

For me there is something fundamentally fulfilling in working up a sweat digging in the yard planting and carrying heavy loads from the front yard to the back yard.  For example laying concrete blocks for a patio or fire pit or planting rows of trees along the fence.  For me to be strong enough to pick up a concrete slab and carry it to the back yard is very fulfilling.  I don't know a lot of girls who can do that or would do that.  My training has brought me to a point where I can lift heavy things without hurting myself and can pull my own weight with the boys.  

So in 2013 why don't we all strive to do more hard work.  Build something in the yard, plant a garden this year or join a community garden or better yet, get a crew together to work on a Habitat for Humanity project and help out someone in need.  When you go to the gym, go with that in mind.  Don't be a hamster on the treadmill or one of those people who ride the stationary bike while reading the paper.  Do something challenging and fun.  If you don't know what to do, book a few sessions with a trainer to get you started on the right track.  Let's make 2013 a year to be different, to try new things and challenge ourselves in ways we never thought possible.  Let's make this year EPIC!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cheeseburger Pie Continuing Evolution

Paleo Chocolate "Peanut Butter" Brownies

Kettlebells and Fitness