Kettlebells and Fitness

My first mistake could be my blogger name.  Unless you are immersed in the Girevik lifestyle you have likely never even heard that word before.  Truth is, I don't really know if I am worthy of that title.  A Girevik is someone who trains with kettlebells and this is the story of my journey. 

When I first picked up a kettlebell and tried to swing it, I thought "Oh gosh, what have I gotten myself into...".  It was a measly little 8 kg bell and it was just a swing.  Ha!  That's easy to say now but that first class I really thought I had found the ultimate in extreme ftness.  Up until that day, I wasn't a total couch potato.  I did Muay Thai, I went to the gym and used the elliptical and free weights, I played Ultimate Frisbee and I swam.  I was a Lifeguard and Fitness Instructor and for awhile I allowed myself to get into a rut.  I would get home at the end of the day and think "I was in the water all day" or "I was on my feet all day at work, walking continuously and cleaning, I don't need to work out, that's enough to stay in shape."  I was always skinny as a kid. I had a super high metabolism and could eat anything.  I never imagined that I could ever be overweight, soft and squishy.  Over the winter a few years ago I could not figure out why I was always tired.  I would get home from an 8 hour guarding shift, turn on the fireplace and read a book.  By the time my kids got home from school at 3:30 I was to tired to get up.  It was all I could do to make supper for them and I am ashamed to say that they missed karate more than a few times that winter because I was too tired to go anywhere.  It was around that time that a new class had started at the karate dojo.  It was made for parents, upstairs during the kids' karate class.  A few of my friends were doing it and were raving about it.  So that's how I found myself upstairs at our karate dojo with that 8 kg kettlebell in my hands thinking that my heart was going to pound right out of my chest.

I will admit that I didn't start my journey into the girevik lifestyle for the right reasons.  Most people don't.  I am ashamed to admit that one of the main reasons I started the class was because suddenly an aquaintance who had always been heavier than me was thinner than I was and I couldn't handle that.  I had truly become that shallow girl in highschool, obsessed with image.  I hope that I have grown from my experiences.  I like to think that I am no longer that shallow.  Every day I make a point of thinking of my friends and appreciating the goodness in them.

I soon realized that there was a much better reason to train with kettlebells.  I felt incredibly strong, and I was doing things that I never imagined I could do.  That is the reason that I train now and this is my advice to you.  Don't start for the wrong reasons, you won't stick with it.  If you go into it thinking that you want to lose weight and you want to have a great body you are not going to stick with it.  The great thing about kettlebells is that you have to learn technique, it is absolutely imperative.  If you just go into it blindly you are going to hurt yourself.  Why is that great?  Because when you get it and you are doing amazing things it is such an amazing feeling.  If you go into it thinking, "I want to be able to do a windmill, holding a 16 kg kettlebell over my head." you will work hard to get there.  Once you do you will realize that somewhere along the way you got a great butt, your thighs look better than ever and your arms and abs are ripped.  You are a Girevik and proud of it!

I now love training with kettlebells so much that I decided to become a certified kettlebell intstuctor through AGATSU.  I wanted to show others how wonderful kettlebells really are.  I have come a long way since that first class but it is burned into my memory as most great beginnings usually are. 

I know this post was long but as it is my first I had a lot to say.  Thank you for sticking with it.

Comments

  1. It did not seem long because it was interesting and inciteful at the same time, and very well written. I think I got a little glimpse into my daughter's life that I never knew before. I just wish this old bod wasn't too ashamed of itself to show up at a class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand exactly what you mean about earning the title of Girevik - I still don't feel worthy yet. There's a weight to the word and everything it means that seems heavier than seven letters should be. I have SO much to learn! I love the post, I've bookmarked you, and I'll see you in class. We have pistols to master. And pull ups. The AKC2 is going to be a killer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! Hope your KB journey is a wondrous one!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Paleo Chocolate "Peanut Butter" Brownies

Cheeseburger Pie Continuing Evolution